Monday, July 25, 2011

Jay Allen Talks About The Original Sturgis Broken Spoke Saloon

Always a smokin' party at the Original Broken Spoke in downtown Sturgis, SD
Sturgis 2011 Rally photo by Sasha Mullins Lassiter.

As many of you know, Jay Allen is no longer involved in the operation of Broken Spoke Saloon properties in Daytona Beach, Myrtle Beach, Laconia or the Sturgis Campground, having relinquished his management role to The Target Companies based in Boston.

Jay's only comment was, "I hope they do well because I still have an investment."

You will find Jay at The Original Broken Spoke Saloon in downtown Sturgis, where it all began.

Music is always important, and the 2011 Sturgis lineup included Big Engine and Jasmine Cain. Jay Allen knows how to throw a party at the Sturgis Rally... something he's been doing for 20 years!

Join Jay for the Michael Lichter & Sugar Bear Ride CK out the full lineup, Aug. 4th to 13th at

"Sometimes you just have to step back in order to move forward to do the things that you really want to do," said Jay in a recent phone interview. "I want to race bikes and get back to shooting videos, like what I was doing with Johnny Chop and Indian Larry. In fact, I just got a new Johnny Chop tattoo on my back to go with the Indian Larry tattoo I have on my arm... And this time," Jay noted "I am older and wiser, I own the production company so I can continue to shoot footage at events all over the country and share everything I'm doing with the men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan because that's who I am. You know the people who serve in the military are always starved for entertainment and videos from back home."


Now that he is not tied to such a demanding schedule at the big four rallies, Jay is looking forward to visiting and getting involved in some of the newer events and rallies.

"I am one of the luckiest guys around, I have a wonderful family, great friends and the best job in the world. I get to go on some of the coolest rides and watch the history of the motorcycle industry happen before my eyes. You know, I don't feel like I'm getting any older..."

In 2009, Jay set a new Land Speed Record of 157.2765 mph in the MPF Class with this bike at the Bonneville Salt Flats, and later that same week, posted a 184.667 mph record in the 3000cc APS-PF class on his 2005 S&S 124 cubic inch engine, 6-speed Baker transmission racer. Jay continues to set new records.

Click here to connect with Jay Allen on Facebook.

The original Broken Spoke Saloon & Museum at 905 Lazelle Street was a lumberyard in the late 1980's when  Dave Iversen bought the property. He needed workspace and ample room for his collection of car and motorcycle memorabilia. The bar helped to pay the museum bills, but later became too much work. That is when Jay Allen became the owner, and the rest is history.

The Broken Spoke Saloon opened for the first time during the 1988 annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and Races.  With the large open front doorway motorcycles were allowed to drive through the bar itself and park inside. Vendor spaces were created along the back and side walls that offered tattooing, mechanic repairs and food. Most available free space, high and low, was used for display. The small stage offered live music most afternoons and evenings.
The love of collecting is in Jay's blood as well and the museum part of the Broken Spoke is astounding. You will find a custom V-8 motorcycle sharing space with a 1920 original Harley. There is beer to be had in lots of spots in Sturgis during the rally but the original bar and museum is the most unique.

Posted by MJ Lloyd Reynolds/editor, MotorcycleEventNews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment